Friday, April 30, 2010

Thursday night crit



We're lucky to have a huge cycling contingent in our back yard. The Lehigh Valley is an attractive area to cyclists because there are great roads, relatively low traffic, some great climbing and of course the Valley Preferred Cycling Center which has played host to many US and international championships and produced some incredible cyclists. Right across the street and also on County owned property is the Rodale Fitness Park which has a one mile paved rolling course. There is a weekly training crit held there every Thursday night, 15 lap early race and 30 lap late race in which sprint points are offered on every 3rd lap. The races run from April through October and are very well attended. In fact, Bill Strickland the editor of Bicycling Magazine wrote a book centered around his goal of earning points on Thursday nights!

Having lived within 15 minutes of this event for several years, I've always "talked" about trying it out. Well being that I'm behind on my bike training this year I decided it would be a great way to get a higher intensity workout in and heck it may even be fun! The stars aligned yesterday with decent weather (60's and WINDY) and my friend's wife who offered to watch the kids while I raced. Now aside from multisport events and cyclocross (off road) this was my first "real" road race, so I didn't really know what to expect other than all of the "do this, don't do that's" that I've heard over the years. Needless to say it was a blast. Went out a little too hard and paid the price, but had one great sprint and got a good workout in. The kids had a blast. I thought Joshua would love to see 40 bikes come rolling by, but he soon saw the large sand pit they had and all the toys and kids there and, well, "what bikes"? I'll be back for sure.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great event. I need to test it out one of those Thursdays when I can get away from work sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the perfect workout! What a great event! :)

    ReplyDelete