Monday, October 4, 2010

Wrapping up September...moving into October

So September is finally over. Started out pretty rough but ended up being a nice transition into fall. Autumn seems to be getting the handle of this "Spanish Immersion" thing, we celebrated Lauren's birthday and ushered in October with Autumn's birthday.

My mom had us over for a nice family gathering to celebrate Lauren's birthday on Friday, then we had a great party at Putt U mini golf with about 12 of Autumn's friends on Saturday. Weather cooperated nicely. On Lauren's birthday I raced my second cyclocross race of the season in the morning and we visited her brother and had a great dinner at the Cheesecake Factory in the afternoon.

The Whirlybird cross race was in held at Bryn Athyn College outside of Philadelphia. It the first time I had been there and it was a great venue for a cross race. This year was the first time it was part of the MAC series and there were several sold out fields. I raced the (B) Masters 35+ class which was sold out at 125 people! I was lucky enough to get a 2nd row call up on the starting line due to a decent finish at the first race...Nittany Cross. The start was tight, but opened up into a LONG straight section before hitting the first few turns. I knew my skinny legs wouldn't have much for the strong power riders on the long straights, but just hoped to settle into a decent spot then work my way up. The gun went off and there was immediate chaos...two pedal strokes in a guy in front goes down all by himself? Riders everywhere. As you can see in this video, I made it around him but proceeded to get dusted on the long start straight (I'm in the yellow / white / gray kit, red bike) . I didn't realize how far back I had fallen until I saw that video, probably outside of the top 20. There were some long straights but also some technical sections which I seem to do much better on. I made some great passes when I settled in and could see only a small number of riders up in front of me. Had hoped to really work the last lap and make up some ground, but ended up coming in 5th. For the size and caliber of the field, I'm very happy with that finish, especially considering I came from behind.

Through the woods section at Whirlybird (photo courtesy of Rob Muller)


There's a lot going on with Rev 3 and Team Trakkers as well. Registration has opened for Rev3 Cedar Point next September. The team is now recruiting for next year as well. Here's a link to the application. If you want to be a part of one of the best teams in multisport racing, if you're passionate about your sport, your actively involved in social media and you want to represent a great company and some great sponsors fill out this application.

Next post.....Autumn's sweet birthday present.....and Town Hall Cross has come and gone and it was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment