Thursday, January 6, 2011

A look back to focus forward....

For some reason, last season did not stand out in my mind as a stellar season for me. I'm not sure why, maybe the disappointment of the injury at the end of the year, the bout with overtraining early fall or that I didn't come out swinging in cyclocross right off the bat as I wished. But as I put together my list of accompishments as our club prepared to approach some sponsors it hit me. 2010 was a great year for me, and I'm truly blessed just to be able to compete, regardless of how fast or what place I finish. When I went a little further and tried to list all of my community involvement I was even further surprised. That little exercise of pouring through 2010 has really given me even more motivation and drive as I head into 2012.

2010 Accomplishments:

•I ran six running events from 5K to marathon, setting PR's at 5 mi (Frostbite 27:27) and the marathon (Boston 2:47:01).
•I also paced a marathon (Gasparilla 3:20 group) and a half marathon (Lehigh Valley Half 1:40 group)
•I competed in seven multisport events ranging from sprint duathlons to half iron distance triathlons.
•Three overall multisport wins, a second place and fourth place overall in the 2010 season.
•I raced ten cyclocross events with eight finishes in the top six.
•Overall win at the Highland Park Mid Atlantic Cross (MAC) series race in the CAT2/3/4 Masters (83 finishers)
•7th overall in the Mid Atlantic Cross Series CAT 2/3/4 Masters (only raced 6 of 11 rounds)
•8th overall in the PA Cyclocross Series Elite Masters (only raced 4 of 9 rounds)
•Poised to be named All American by USAT for Triathlon and Duathlon in 2010

More than just the results, what really struck me was how immersed I've become in the realm of endurance sports. It truly is a way of life and it is awesome to be a part of. The racing is not the driving factor anymore, it's the training that I love, it's the challenge of directing a race, its the reward of seeing the positive impact the HCM Foundation is having in the community and it's the joy of seeing others become active, meet goals and obtain personal records. My family is a tremendous part of that. My wife is my biggest supporter, a great mother and a great runner (and potential triathlete in 2011?). And we've got two incredible children.

So why am I writing all this? Well, I think once in a while we all need to sit back and reflect on all of the positives that we are blessed with each day. Cast out the negatives, the bad self perception, the let down of not meeting a goal and charge forward. As I watched my first full episode of Biggest Loser (I know, I live in a box) on the trainer the other night, I was blown away by the will and determination some of those contestants have. They're at the lowest point in their lives with a HUGE journey ahead of them, but they're taking it on full steam, living with the blessings they have and making a change. Truly inspiring when you try to imagine yourself in that position, it would be pretty easy to give up or give in.

So, what am I up to in 2011? Well, first off I'm excited to be a part of Team Trakkers in 2011. There are some incredible sponsors on board this year including Kestrel Bikes, Avia, First Endurance and SBR Sports to name a few. And we've added some great people to our already awesome group. We'll be doing the REV3 Triathlon events (and possibly some of their new REV3 Adventure races).

Here's what I'm looking at for 2011:

February: Frostbite 5mi, Gasparilla (Tampa, FL) 15K and Half Marathon (Pacer)
March: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon, HAT 50K ultra marathon
April: Doylestown Duathlon, Boston Marathon, Mt. Penn Mudfest (LaSportiva Series)
May: Lehigh Valley Half Marathon (Pacer)
June: REV3 Quassy Olympic & 70.3, Wilkes Barre Du
July: Langans Run (Wodstock, VT), Sunset Challenge Triathlon
August: Steelman Triathlon, USAT AG National Championships (Burlington VT ), DeSales Road Race
September: REV3 Cedar Point 70.3, Skylands Duathlon, Nittany Cyclocross
October: MAC & PA Cyclocross, local running races
November & December: PA and MAC cyclocross series
What races am I most excited for? Well, I really enjoy pacing, so Tampa and the LV Half will be fun. I can't wait to go back to Quassy (and avenge the flat tire from last year), hopefully do the OLY and HALF. I'm also looking forward to the Age Group National Championships in Vermont as well as REV3 Cedar Point. I have no specific goals in mind, just want to enjoy myself and finish each race with a smile.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on such an awesome 2010, and your plan for 2011 looks super fun!! You're right-it is important to take a step back and reflect becauwse it is so easy to get caught up in the whirlwind/adrenaline rish that is this sport. Hope to see you at a race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have found something that you enjoy, that fits with your family life, that helps you be the person you want to be, and that gives you a way to connect with other like-minded people. A good year, indeed! Congratulations, Mr. Superman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to look back and see all that you've accomplished! Hope to see you at a race this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a year! Looking forward to finally getting a chance to race with you this year. And what's this about Laurie getting into tris??? :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great year! Can't wait to see you guys in Quassy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had an amazing year! Your schedule is PACKED for this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an awesome 2010. I agree, it is good to look back after a very full and successful year. Are you running the SuperBowl 10k this year? Did you consider the Pottsville CityCycle 17? I bet you'd do very well there as well, with the significant hill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome 2010 - I will see you at Quassy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that was one heck of a year! You need to come down and run the Ugly Mudder in Feb. Same genral area as the Mt Penn Mudfest except everything is frozen.

    ReplyDelete