Wednesday, November 9, 2011

October Snow


October Snow, sounds like an oxymoron to me. Well it did anyway! Two weeks ago word of a nor'easter broke about two days before it hit us. 4-7" of snow were predicted...."No way it will stick to the road" came out of my mouth.


Just a few short days before we were picking pumpkins in beautiful weather....
But not much could stop this storm.  Only three times in history had our area seen measurable snow in October, the largest total being 2.2".  When it was all said and done we ended up with about 12".  Being such an early snow following a hot summer, the trees still bore most of their leaves which was a recipe for disaster.  We were without power for >30 hours, but the absolute destruction in the aftermath of the storm left some without power for over a week.  The roads looked like war zones, trees toppling like toothpicks and wires dangling like spaghetti.  I spent all day last Sunday helping a friend clear branches and fallen trees.
Our Halloween "Snow Witch"

We did have a fun Halloween though.  It was the first time I can remember trick or treating with snow covered yards.  We made our annual trek to my mom's neighborhood and the kids had a blast with their cousins. 

As far as racing goes...well this is cross season, but my season has yet to get any traction.  I did manage to jump into a Halloween themed "Octo Run 13K" which was fun.  Even more fun was the fact that I won the race and set a course record at 44:52 for 8 miles.

I did manage to sneak out for a cross race on Saturday.  I raced the elite masters 35+ and finished 4th, earning enough cash to just about cover my entry fee!  I hope to hit a few more races yet this year, give my running legs a rest before I build up for HAT 50K and Boston training.
My brother (white/yellow) on the front row managed two 2nd places finsihes this weekend!

I'm starting to plan out 2012 and I did notice the Long Course Duathlon National Championships have been announced, June 3 in Maryland.  I'm excited at the prospect of a great finish, but not sure if I'll race there or take our annual trek to Quassy, CT for the REV3 triathlon weekend which the family loves.

And speaking of REV3, they're announcing the 2012 Team Rev3 on their new Facebook page, naming one person per day starting tomorrow!  On another sponsor note, Lamprey Systems cycling team has added a GREAT new sponsor...FIRST ENDURANCE!  Everyone on the team is really excited.

2 comments: