Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sell Out

Well the Superbowl 10K I mentioned in the last post has sold out already!  This race has become a classic winter race in the Lehigh Valley, I wish we could handle more runners but if there's snow on the ground we lose most of our parking capacity which is the real limit to the number of participants we can hold.  The event has endured snow storms, ice storms and cold temperatures the past few years, but each and every year the crowd of hardy runners show up to test themselves in the middle of winter, likely to see how they're post Holiday / pre-spring goals are shaping up.  I'm headed to a local municipal meeting tonight to (hopefully) obtain the final blessing on the portion of the course that traverses through an established residential neighborhood.  The shirts are ordered, going with the "nightlife" green long sleeve Brooks shirts again this year.  The Sock Guy wool socks are in production, this year they'll be given out to the top 50 male and top 50 female finishers as an extra pat on the back.

I'm also excited that two of our area's premier specialty running stores The Finish Line and Aardvark have again stepped up to provide gift certificates to the top three finishers in each age group.  And as a special thank you to our runners, we'll have all kinds of Brooks goodies including Run Happy sweat towels, tote bags and wrist bands.  Brooks has also thrown a few gift certificates in which will go to our top Masters finishers and our most spirited runners.  A HUGE thanks to Brooks!

My wife, Lauren, has also stepped up and offered to enhance our post race food selection (previously a pizza, soda and BYOB party).  We're looking at providing some hot soup and soft pretzels to add to the mix.  Hopefully our runners will feel that they've been taken care of!

Since I can't race this race anymore, I've been seeking my own winter "test" race.  Looking like I'll be shooting to race the next weekend at the very competitive Frostbite 5 Miler on 2/12.  Last year there were over 1,000 runners!  I'm feeling good, yet a bit antsy as I build up my mileage with all aerobic, easy riding and running.  I'll hit over 50 miles this week, take a step down week next week then it's full blow marathon training.  The goal is to build up to 80 miles per week at my peak, then make a solid run at Boston in April, maybe bring that PR down??

I'm excited for the upcoming Christmas holiday.  Our children are at such a great age (4 and 8) and they're so excited.  You can't put a price on that!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That sounds like a great race! Hope the weather is perfect for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete