Being the engineering type, I like to look at data...so I've collected endless data. So as I wrapped up 2011 I compared the basic numbers to previous years...
|YEAR||Run Mi||Run Time||Bike Mi (road)||Bike Time (total)||TOTAL HRS||DELTA|
Some good data in there. 2008 was the year of many PR's in running, but it was also when I more seriously considered multisport. Frankly, I do miss the running (not that I don't run now). The thing with running is that it's easy. All you need is a pair of shoe's and you're off. You can travel to neat destinations, I can run with my wife, etc. Last fall I started to realize that I miss running, so I suspect I may see more running mileage in 2012. The interesting thing to note about 2011 is that due to injury I could only run 11 months of the year, so considering that it was a decent year.
Anyone notice something? Yeah, no swimming in there! Well, there's a reason for that, I don't swim all that much! I probably swam more distance in races this year that I actually trained. Sad, but true. Swimming is tough at this season of life. Kids in daycare and school, a spouse that works part time and is also a runner, etc. I fit in what I can, and I don't worry too much about it. Expect to see me race more duathlons this year, it ain't getting easier to find swim time! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy triathlons immensely, I just have to do what works for me.
So, some of my personal successes in 2011...
- Finished my first road race (Tour of the Battenkill), a TOUGH Spring Classic in New York. 64 miles, >4000' climbing, 20mi of dirt roads. It was fun, I will be back.
- ONE WEEK later I ran the Boston Marathon and despite coming off of a foot injury and racing Battenkill the week before, I ran a decent time at 2:51.
- I pulled off the Quassy Challenge, the OLY and HALF back to back. And I won my AG in the OLY to boot!
- I managed to win both Duathlons that I did overall. (Wilkes Barre, Sunset)
- I won my age group at the Steelman Triathlon
- I had a great race at the ING Philly Half Marathon, my second sub 1:15 half
- I paced Gasparilla Distance Classic, St. Lukes Half Marathon and Wineglass Marathon
- I had a great fall of running and cyclocross
- The Superbowl 10k (sold out at 550) and Town Hall Cross (240 registrants) both went off without a hitch.
- Remained safe and injury free!
Some rough goals for 2012:
- Have fun at Cross Worlds in Louisville
- A marathon PR at Boston (gulp) sub 2:47
- My first 50K (HAT 50K)
- Podium in my age group at Long Course Duathlon Nationals
- HAVE FUN, STAY SAFE and REMAIN INJURY FREE
- Expand on my coaching (obtain USATF certificate)
I wish everyone a successful, fun and injury free 2012!!