Friday, June 14, 2013

Saucon to Boston 5k Race Report

Last Sunday we packed up the family and headed a few short miles to support the Saucon to Boston 5k.  It was a one time event put on by a local runner to raise money for the One Fund Boston charity.  It was also the first 5k on the beautiful Saucon Rail Trail.  My daughter had just completed her Girls on the Run 5k the Thursday prior, so she was excited to get out for another 5k alongside Lauren who pushed Joshua in the job stroller.  I had ridden 2.5 hours before we got there figuring it would be good training for REV3 Williamsburg just two short weeks away!

It was a beautiful morning with temps in the 70's and most of the out and back gravel course was shaded from the sun keeping it cool.  The local community came out in full force to support the event which saw just shy of 200 finishers!

My race itself was somewhat uneventful.  Not getting any warm up time, I started a few rows back and gradually built my pace and I had caught the leader about 3/4 mile into the race.  We ran together for a bit and I was able to pull ahead.  The best part of the race was the way back to the finish, seeing and cheering for so many friends and family made time fly by so quickly!  Autumn and Joshua were so happy to see me it put a huge smile on my face!  I didn't look at my watch until it beeped for the 3rd mile, a 5:22.  I crossed the line in 17:02 which I was happy with.

I congratulated the next few runners who crossed the line and then headed out on the course to meet up with the family.  We ran the rest of the way in and as soon as Autumn saw the finish she took off!
Check out that matching outfit!
It was great to catch up with so many people after the race, new friends and old.  The timing company did a great job and before we knew it the awards ceremony started.  It turned out that Autumn had won the under 10 y/o age group!  She happily accepted her hardware!!
All smiles with her "goods"!

My favorite shot...EVER!
They had a great raffle after the race to raise more money.  Many local businesses donated gift certificates, etc.  I donated an entry to my upcoming 10k race on the same trail (the Saucon Rail Trail 10k on 9/2/13) as well as a PowerBar goodie pack.  It was so cool to see the look on the PowerBar winner's face when they opened the box and saw it FILLED with stuff!
YUM!
After the race Aunt Carolyn took the kids for the day and Lauren and I enjoyed an awesome brunch and a leisurely day of browsing and shopping along the Delaware River in New Jersey and PA, celebrating out 13th wedding anniversary which was the next day!!  

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic family day and Happy Anniversary! Love the shot of you and your baby girl! Priceless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the W & happy anniversary! And your daughter is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete